Saturday, February 16, 2013

"Don't worry about that." (5 strategies for reducing excessive worry)

I don't know about you, but when someone tells me "don't worry about that," it rarely helps.   More often, it makes me feel worse (because I'm now wondering what's wrong with me . . . that I'm worrying so much). 

Suzanne Phillips, writing for psychcentral.com, has written a powerful piece titled "Five Ways to Reduce Excessive Worry" (the link is below).  In brief, here's what she has to say:

·         There’s plenty to worry about (job security, flu epidemics, child safety, weather-related and health-related issues, et al).

·         Excessive worry is toxic, not productive.

·         Here are five strategies for reducing excessive worry:

o   Focus on “what is,” not “what if”;

o   Move from thought to action;

o   Connect with others;

o   Postpone worry; and

o   Set up a “worry time.”

Phillips’ complete article (it's worth a read) can be found at http://blogs.psychcentral.com/healing-together/2013/02/five-strategies-to-reduce-excessive-worry/.

 

##

No comments:

Post a Comment